Wake Park Blog > The Ballyhass Open 2018 Bulletin 1
The Ballyhass Open 2018 Sept 28th to 30th
The Ballyhass Open the first Ballyhass Original format event that is aiming to be on the Irish Wake calendar for years to come. Cash prize format for open and pro in 2018.
Welcome to the Ballyhass Open 2018. The first of what we hope will be a standout event in the Irish wake calendar. This is the first event we have designed ourselves and we have come up with a new format that we believe is a perfect fit for a System 2.0 competition. It is designed for riders who have just learnt to stand on a wakeboard right up to Pro Sponsored riders. In fact the format alters for different categories to make sure that all levels are catered for to the best of our abilities.
This is a competition for the sport. One to get complete beginners on the water for the first time, one to push regular riders out of the comfort zone in competition and one where riders at the top levels of our sport have an event to showcase their skill to the general public. --- Eoghan McCarthy Wakepark Manager
Register here now (each division is capped so it is first come first served, divsions will be expanded if they dont reach their capped numbers but only after review)
Eoghan McCarthy / Taran Kelly / Elaine O’Riordan / Tim Burke
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +353 22 7773
MRT Muscle Recovery Tool Insta: Muscle_recovery_tool
GPS: 52.174072 / -8.7985411
€75 Over 18’s
€65 Under 18’s & Ballyhass Members
€55 Ballyhass Staff
-- Water bottle
-- Posters & stickers
Comp Riding Time
First come first served
-- Jam riding for all divisions on the park Friday Afternoon 2pm - Dark
-- Jam riding for all divisons on the Park Saturday 9am - 4pm
-- Pro/Open Divisions only: Jam 5pm to Dark
-- Comp Run on Sunday
Refreshments & Catering Included
-- Dinner Saturday (€12 for non riders)
-- Coffee & Pastry Sunday
-- Lunch Sunday
** Camping on Site for 3 nights included in entry fee.
*** Accommodation for Pro Riders Included (contact office for more information)
Cash Prize BreakDown:
Open Adult Division
All other divisions Goodie Bags for Podiums
By Air - Cork Airport - Bus Links to Mallow - 10 mins by car to the park.
By Air - Shannon Airport - Bus Links to Mallow - 10 mins by car to the park.
By Train - Direct routes to Mallow Train Station from Limerick, Cork, Dublin & Galway followed by 10 mins by car to the park.
Directions From Mallow -
- Take the N72 (Killarney direction) for 5km (3 miles)
- Turn right at the sign for Longueville House and Ballyclough
- The village of Cecilstown is 7 km (4.3 miles) from this turning
- Go through the village and the wakepark is 1km (0.6 miles) on the left hand side.
There will be a coffee and snack stalls on site all weekend and sandwiches available in the Ballyhass Coffee Dock.
- Ballyhass Self-catering Accommodation On-site: Pro riders have accommodation included in their entry fee. Unfortunately we have no other self catering accommodation on site.
- Ballyhass On-site Camping: We have camping on site that is available to use for the duration of the competition. Facilities include showers, toilets, dry storage room, outdoor sink & fire pit. There are no kitchen facilities so please bring your own BBQs or similar.
- Hibernian Hotel Mallow (15mins)
- Springfort hall Hotel (10mins)
- Ballyhoura Luxury Hostel (40mins)
*Important NOTE: Each category are capped competitors. Once we reach the cap any registrations will be put on a waiting list to see if any of the other categories don’t reach their cap.
Mixed (Ladies & men) (NEW FOR 2018 and THE OPEN)
– This division is aimed for riders who have just started out in the sport
– If you learnt to ride last week then you could enter the Rookies division this week!
– Any tricks up to and including 360’s off the kicker are allowed in this division
– If you can spin 540’s along an obstacle or off a kicker then we’ll see you later, you’re in Intermediates!
– If you can back lip or front board the obstacles then you too are off to the Intermediates
– Definitely no air tricks, that’s cheating at this level!
– Love wakeboarding, ride loads, but your not a pro? Then this division is for you.
– Tricks that are welcome in this division include: – Frontside 540’s and basic inverts like Tantrums, Scarecrows, Roll to Reverts off the kicker
– Obstacle tricks like ollie 270 onto a rail, ollie on backside lipslide, tail presses, nose presses etc
– If you have airtricks your up to open.
– If your mixing up your runs with technical rail hits, blind landings, FS & BS spins of 540’s or great and can throw those airtricks in say hello to the open division and the chance of some cash prizes!!
– If you want to be sponsored then you need to be in this division!
– If you’ve won intermediate events before then you too are in Open, so step up your game!
- Warm up on the East park on a first come first served basis. (2pm - Dark).
- Party Mystery bus departs Ballyhass 9pm Sharpe (Over 18’s Only) Price TBC depending on numbers. Back to Ballyclough for Afterparty.
Saturday September 29th
- Open Jam Session all day for all competitors warm ups 10am - 5pm
- Open jam session for just Open / Pro competitors 5pm to Dark
- Music on the dock all evening for the pro demos
- Family friendly Event meal at the Ballyhass Clubhouse between 8 & 9pm
Sunday September 30th:
- Comp first rounds: 10.00 - 12.00
- Lunch 12.00 - 13.00
- Second rounds 13.00 - 17.00
- Pro Jam & Judge Calculations 17.00 - 18.00
- Prize Giving - 18.00 - 19.00
Provisional Schedule (subject to change)
We have set up a competitor's facebook page for up to date event information here https://www.facebook.com/groups/978286248850868/
Competition Format: (Brand new for The Ballyhass Open!!)
1 run of 3 passes Unlimited falls.
1 run of 3 passes Unlimited falls.
2 runs of 3 passes (No Falls)
For the second run riders will go out from lowest to highest depending on their first run scores
2 runs of 3 passes (No Falls)
If there is more than six competitors we will move to a head to head format. Head to head pairings will be announced by the MC’s just before comp.
CK Koester Head Judge
Supporting judges to be assigned on the weekend.
The competition will be held on the East Park and will be stacked with Industry Wakepark Features including;
--Large Kicker x 2
--Small Kicker x 2
-- Long Flatbar
The warm-ups and jam sessions will be on the East allowing for maximum time on the water for the competitors.
- 2018 (13)
- 2017 (19)
- 2016 (15)
- 2015 (23)
- 2014 (16)